Most people with eyeglasses will at some point have an incident that causes some form damage to their eyeglasses. Fortunately, one does not have to rush to the eyeglass store to get them fixed. By using an eyeglass repair kit, you can often do the repair yourself.
The following is a guide to fixing a pair of eyeglasses:
Purchase a quality eyeglass repair kit. You can purchase these kits online, or at any eyeglasses store or department store. Examine the eyeglasses to see where it is damaged.
I. A Screw Loose or Missing
If the screw is loose, remove it. Get a new screw from your repair kit. Insert where a screw is missing with a new screw. When putting in a new screw, tighten the screw and stop when you feel it tough to turn
II. Missing or Damaged Nose Supports
Remove the screw that holds the current nose pad. Get a nose pad from your repair kit or get ray bans nose pads that matches your eyeglasses from an eyeglass store. Insert the new nose pad by lining up the new nose pad with the bracket. Begin to replace the screw by tightening it. Stop when you have to force it to turn.
III. Screw in the Lens Frame Missing or Worn
Remove the current screw that connects the ear piece to the frame of the eyeglass. Use the screwdriver to insert a new screw. Tighten the screw but stop when you have to force it.
IV. Hinge Damaged
Use the little pliers from the eyeglass repair kit to carefully bend the hinge back in place.
When repairing eyeglasses there are number of measures one should take to avoid further damage, and include:
1. Apply a bit of clear nail polish on the hinge once screws are inserted. Make sure it is dry before wearing your eyeglasses. This helps keep the screw in place.
2. If the metal hinge has broken off the frame, apply strong glue using a toothpick. Hold the hinge in place until it adheres to the frame.
3. If the earpiece slides off the frame, glue it back on the frame.
4. Make sure the eyeglass repair kit you buy has all the necessary repair items.
5. When doing a repair, work under a bright light and use a brightly colored towel to set your equipment. A bright one color towel such as pink or white will ensure that if you drop any item such as a very small screw, you will find it.
6. When repairing eyeglasses, you will likely get smudges from your fingers all over the lenses and frame. Use a quality eye glass cleaner and an eyeglass cleaning cloth to wipe away any smudges and dirt.